Transfer of Credit Guidelines
The following are general guidelines regarding the transfer of credits from other institutions.
- Courses are eligible for transfer if taken at an accredited institution of higher education, as well as provided that institution can produce an official transcript with a final letter grade once the course is complete.
- Courses taken at other institutions must fall under the category of Liberal Arts and be similar but not necessarily identical to courses offered at Wellesley.
- Courses taken at colleges or universities while the student is enrolled in high school which appear on the high school transcript are not eligible for transfer credit.
- Courses taught exclusively online or through distance learning are not eligible for transfer credit.
EXCEPTION: Courses taught remotely/online through distance learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic are eligible for transfer for the Summer 2020 and Summer 2021 terms only. Self-paced and Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) are not eligible for transfer.
- While enrolled in Wellesley courses during the Fall and Spring terms, students may only earn credit for courses taken outside of Wellesley from institutions with which Wellesley has a cross-listing partnership (Babson, Brandeis, Olin, MIT). Students cannot receive credit for courses taken during the Fall and Spring terms at other institutions while simultaneously registered for Wellesley courses.
- Courses require pre-approval by an Academic Department via a Transfer of Credit Form or the transfer of credit is not guaranteed ***
- An Official Transcript with a final letter grade for the approved course must be sent to the Registrar's Office in order for credit to be posted.
Babson, Brandeis, Olin and MIT Registrars send us cross-registered students' grades at the end of every term. Students who cross-register at these schools do not need to request a transcript.