Credit/No-Credit and Grade Mode

Credit/no credit, or Credit/non, refers to a type of course grading that does not result in a letter grade. Students may elect to have a course graded credit/non for several reasons. Some courses (primarily in the writing department) are mandatory credit/non and students will receive either a cr (credit) or ncr (no credit) as their final grade.

Should I take a course credit/non?

Students may take a course credit/non for a variety of reasons. See your class dean to talk more about whether credit/non makes sense for you.

What does my grade look like on my transcript?

If you receive a grade of c or higher in a course that you have elected credit/non, a notation of CR (credit) will appear on your transcript; if you receive a grade lower than a c, then a notation of NCR (no credit) will appear on your transcript.

How many courses can I take credit/non?

There is no limit to the number of courses a student can take credit/non. However, there are some courses for which credit/non is not an option; this information is included with the course description in the Course Bulletin and Course Browser. Please note that to be eligible for Latin Honors, a student may take no more than one-quarter of potentially-graded units (i.e.,shadow-graded and mandatory credit/noncredit courses are not included) on a credit/noncredit basis, and must have completed a minimum of 12 letter graded units. MIT courses are included in these calculations; transfer courses are not. Please refer to the complete Latin Honors eligibility rules for more information.

What is the deadline for declaring a class credit/non?

The period during which students may declare that they wish to take a course on a credit/non basis is the first four weeks of the fall and spring semesters (or the first two days of wintersession or each summer session). Students must use the online registration system to declare that they wish to take a course credit/non.

Directions for electing a course credit/non

Detailed instructions on electing courses credit/non are available in MyWellesley under the Student Self-Service tab.

All students are expected to go into Workday declare a course credit/non. If a student has been told that they have a registration hold, this will prevent the student from changing a course's Grade Mode. We hope that any student with a registration hold is working with the staff in Student Financial Services so that they will be able to register during the next registration period. Students with a registration hold will need to email to request that their course be changed to Credit/Non by the posted deadline.

Refer to the Registration Dates for the Credit/Non deadline and other important registration-related deadlines.


"Students have the option of taking an unlimited number of units on a Credit/No Credit basis. If a student receives a grade of C or higher in a course that she has elected credit/non, a notation of CR (credit) will appear on her transcript; if she receives a grade lower than a C, then a notation of NCR (no credit) will appear on the transcript.

If a student withdraws from the course after the fourth week of the semester, a WDR will appear on the transcript; if she has a permanent incomplete, then an INC will be printed on the transcript." from Articles of Government, Book II, Article VII, section 1.c.

Please see your Class Dean if you have any additional questions about credit/non.