Rental Vehicles

Driving Rental Vehicles

Automobile rentals should be limited to situations where other means of transportation are not practical, economical or available, and in emergency situations. Employees should follow their department guidelines for renting vehicles if applicable. Reimbursable costs include the daily rental fee of a compact car for a single person or a midsize vehicle for two or more travelers, mileage fees, gasoline charges, parking expenses, and tolls.

Automobile rental companies offer various forms of insurance. It is important when renting automobiles on College business to purchase the correct type of insurance offered by rental companies. NOTE: If you are traveling with another employee in a rental vehicle, and the other employee might drive the vehicle, they MUST be listed on the rental agreement as a driver or the rental company insurance will not cover any accident that occurs while they are driving, regardless of fault.

Insurance You Should Take

If you are using a personal credit card to rent the vehicle, you may ACCEPT the insurance coverage called variously "Collision", "Loss Damage", "Loss Damage Waiver", or "Damage Waiver". This type of insurance covers damage to or theft of the rental vehicle.

Insurance You Should NOT Take

If you are using College-issued Bank of America credit card to rent the vehicle, you may DECLINE the insurance coverage called variously "Collision", "Loss Damage", "Loss Damage Waiver", or "Damage Waiver". This type of insurance covers damage to or theft of the rental vehicle, as this is covered by the card.

DECLINE any insurance offered as "Personal Accident" or "Personal Injury". This insurance covers the medical bills of the driver of the rental car and any passengers. This is redundant for persons covered by a health plan.

DECLINE insurance coverage variously titled "Additional Liability" or "Liability" or "Excess Liability". This insurance pays for damage to other people or their property. The College has a vehicle insurance policy that covers this exposure.

Optional Insurance Coverage (Not Reimbursable by the College)

Another type of insurance is variously called "Personal Effects" or "Personal Belongings" insurance. This add-on provides coverage for the personal belongings of the driver or passengers in the rental car. The College is not responsible for any driver’s personal belongings, nor does it have any insurance for others’ belongings. A person’s homeowner's or renter's insurance policy typically covers their property anywhere in the world. This coverage is subject to the insured’s personally selected deductible.

Accidents Involving Rental Vehicles

  • Follow the instructions on Accident Reporting
  • Report the accident to the rental company, and complete any required paper work.
  • Keep copies of all reports and your rental agreement.
  • Report the accident to the Fleet Safety Administrator and send copies of all documents.
  • If you have paid any deductibles or receive a bill for the deductible, forward all paper work including any invoices to the Fleet Safety Administrator for payment or reimbursement.  
  • Assist as required to secure any local police report if local police responded to the scene of the accident.