EN / 中文

Student FAQ

Can students who are qualified to apply interview by phone if they are currently studying abroad?
Yes, interviews can be conducted via phone or Skype if necessary.
Would a student from another university, who is an exchange student at Wellesley, be able to apply?
No, this program is only open to Wellesley students.
Is it possible for students/alumnae who are involved in women-related organizations in China  to get involved and contribute to the program?
Yes, we are interested in learning more about interested organizations might have to offer. Please contact us with ideas and/or materials, and we will get back in touch once we are able to review these.
Is Chinese language proficiency required?
No, all courses will be taught in English.
What are the visa requirements to go to China? How do I apply?
All non-Chinese citizens participating in the program must apply for a Tourist Visa (L Visa) prior to their travel, ideally starting the process as soon as they are able. The Chinese Consulate in New York City will issues visas, but they do not accept mailed or online visa applications. You may either submit your application at the Consulate in person, or you may entrust someone else or a travel/visa agent to submit your application to the visa office.

Basic materials that must be submitted for a visa application include:

  • Passport (original)
  • Visa Application Form
  • Photo (recent, front view, in 48mm x33mm size without head covering)
  • Invitation letter (will be provided by Peking University)
  • Certificate of Name Change (if applicable)–If the name in the new passport is different from that in the original one, the official document issued by authorities for name change should be submitted
  • Previous Chinese visa (if applicable)–Foreign citizens who were born in China and had obtained a Chinese visa before, when applying for visa with a new passport, should submit a photocopy of the original passport's information/photo page and the page containing the previous Chinese visa
  • Original Chinese Passport (if applicable)–First-time applicants whose former nationality was Chinese, or who were born in China (including Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan), need to submit the original Chinese passport and a photocopy of the passport's information/photo page, and extension page.

In addition, students who are non-U.S. citizens need to provide the original and a photocopy of proof of U.S. residency, work or study, proof of residency in the consular district (e.g., ID, water or electricity bills, or tenancy agreement, etc. ) or a valid U.S. visa.

For detailed visa application info, please visit Chinese Consulate website.

If you are a U.S.-born child with one or two Chinese parents, and apply for a Chinese visa for the first time, please read the following http://newyork.china-consulate.org/eng/lsyw/lszjx/sbqz/cccbu/

Can we bring laptops with us?
Students are allowed to take laptops for the trip. However, laptop use will be prohibited during class sessions
What is the dress code for the program?
The dress code for the Institute will be "business casual." You should plan to wear clothing that you would wear to a job or internship in a business setting. Jeans will not be permitted. You must wear a suit when your group presents to the Distinguished Visiting Professors at the end of the Institute.  
Can our electronics be used and charged in China?
Yes, although China uses a different voltage from the United States, electrical adaptors will be provided.
How do I call the United States or other country from China?
Fellows will be encouraged to activate the International Roaming service from their carriers, in case of emergency phone calls. Program staff members will have regular Chinese mobile services, and students can ask to use these phones to make international phone calls.
What is the Internet access situation at Peking University?
In Zhongguancun Global Village, where the students will live, there is plug-in Internet service in the rooms. There is also free wi-fi in public areas within the building.
Are there requirements or expectations for participants after the summer?
While there are no mandatory requirements for program participants, but it is expected that students will reflect on their experiences and take the opportunity to contribute to the Wellesley community, such as by presenting, individually or as a group, at events such as Tanner Conference, trustee meetings, alumnae meetings, or donor events, as requested.
Would participation in the Albright China program disqualify me from applying for the Albright Institute Wintersession program?
No, participants in the summer China program are still eligible to apply for the Albright Wintersession program.
<a id="selection" name="selection”>How does the selection process work?
The Selection Committee is composed of faculty and administrators affiliated with the program, who will read and score the written application materials and narrow the pool to a group of finalists. The finalists will each be asked to participate in a short interview with the Selection Committee. If a student is studying abroad or otherwise off campus, the interview can be conducted by Skype or telephone. After the interview scores are compiled, final decisions will be made on which students to accept to the program.
If I receive a Global Engagement Internship or Global Engagement Grant, can I still do the Wellesley-Peking University program?
No. You will not have time to complete a 10 week internship after the Beijing program ends. Because of the timing of the application cycles, students who applied for Global Engagement Internships will be notified before February 14. If you did not receive an internship through that program, you are able to apply for the Beijing program by the application deadline. However, applicants for the Beijing program will not know if they have been accepted before the Global Engagement Grant deadline of March 1, 2013. Thus, you may still apply for a Global Engagement Grant on March 1st, but will need to withdraw your application if you are accepted into the Beijing program.
Are there any formal policies related to living and studying with Peking University students?
No. Each Wellesley student will be paired up with one Peking University student to live in Global Village, an off-campus dorm facility building. Students are expected to learn from each other academically and culturally, building bonds and facing challenges together.
How close is Peking University to other districts or sites in Beijing?
Peking University is located in a district along with other top higher education institutions, and is also close to commercial ares. There is subway access  (line 4) and bus stops at Peking University. It is one stop away (10 minutes walking) to a mall with two large grocery stores, Karaoke lounges, etc. It is also close to the Olympic Park (the National Aquatics Center, and the National Stadium which is also known as the Bird Nest Stadium). Traffic is a serious concern in Beijing, however, and travel to some of the central tourist sites such as the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, and Wanfujin Street can take more than an hour.