Marathon Media Roundup
Wellesley a Key Player in the Show of Resilience and Support for Boston Marathon 2014
Wellesley joined the spirit of making the 2014 Boston Marathon not just a race but a joyous show of fearlessness and strength. Students were determined to make the already famous Scream Tunnel the biggest, loudest, longest one to date (as Sports Illustrated and others recounted). While such a thing may be hard to quantify without a decibel meter on hand, they surely succeeded: A Boston Globe video quotes two different runners saying Wellesley was the loudest ever; and the answer to the Boston Marathon Facebook page’s annual question of which section of the marathon was the loudest was... Wellesley.
The crew of students in Munger creating custom signs requested by runners and supporters took more than 800 sign requests this year--triple the number from last year. Alumnae were encouraged to return to Wellesley for the day, and the campus BBQ attendance was also at a record high.
Marathoner competitors always love Wellesley’s Scream Tunnel, and this year media from Wicked Local to the Wall Street Journal shared the love in print, online, and in video. Here are just some of the places that gave the Scream Tunnel some cheers back:
- Wall Street Journal: Boston Marathon: What It Was Like to Run One Year After the Bombing
- USA Today Sports: The Heart of the Boston Marathon Isn’t Just Found at the Finish Line
- US News: More Than 30,000 Defiant Runners Finish Boston Marathon in Celebration 1 Year after Bombings)
- Boston.com: Wellesley Scream Tunnel Prepared to Pump Runners Up
- NPR.org: The 118th Running of the Boston Marathon; Wellesley Mile 13
- NECN: One Year After Bombings, Pride and Resolve on the Trail of the Boston Marathon
- ABC affiliate WCVB: Marathon Monday: On the Course
- WGBHnews.org: Under Tight Security Screams, Kisses Exhort Marathoners in Wellesley
- NBC affiliate WHDH: Wellesley College Scream Tunnel Cheers on Runners
- Wellesley.wickedlocal.com: From Wellesley College’s Scream Tunnel
And there was much more coverage of the race that gave Wellesley passing shout-outs as well.
- Boston Globe: Minute Marking Bombs Honored at Marathon
- Boston Globe: Generous Spirit of Boston Shines Through
- Boston Globe: For 26 Miles, Cheers Filled the Air
- Boston Magazine: Photos from the 2014 Boston Marathon
- Yahoo News/AP: Marathon Watch: U.S. Champ Had Victims' Names on Bib
- Boston Herald: Inspiration Carries Runner through to the Finish Line
- Buzzfeed: 42 Best Signs from the Boston Marathon
- BostInno: Wellesley Students Prepare to Pucker up for the Loudest Scream Tunnel in Marathon History
- ABC News/AP: One Year after Bombs, Boston Marathon a Celebration
- Republican American: Still Boston Strong 1 Year Later
With more on radio and television. So... until next year!