Residence Halls

Whether you're sun-bathing in Hazard Quad or traying on snowy Severance Green, the Res Halls have something to offer every student.

The Quad

  • Beebe Hall

    Named after a Nantucket whaler and father of a student, Beebe celebrates its heritage with a Jolly Roger flag and annual Talk Like a Pirate Day (though Capt. Beebe was NOT a pirate).

  • Cazenove Hall

    “Caz” is the only building on campus named for our founders – sort of.  Cazenove was Mrs. Pauline Durant’s mother’s maiden name.  The Durants wanted no buildings named in their honor.

  • Munger Hall

    The first Wellesley dorm designed as a “cooperative” house, Munger was built in 1933 and fitted with an early intercom to simplify housekeeping. Benefactor Jessie Munger often visited unobtrusively, presenting gifts to the students.

  • Pomeroy Hall

    “Pom” was named for its benefactor, Martha Pomeroy.  She wanted a residence hall near the Observatory for astronomy students.

     

     

  • Shafer Hall

    The foyer of Shafer features mathematical symbols embedded in the windows.  They are in honor of Helen Shafer, our third president, who was also a mathematics professor.

Tower Complex

  • Claflin Hall

    Named for William Claflin, the 27th governor of Massachusetts, an early supporter of women’s suffrage. Wood carvings in the main living room depict characters from Alice in Wonderland.

  • Lake House

    Lake House

    Lake House is a residence hall for upperclasswomen only. Besides offering gorgeous lake views, Lake House has a kitchen second to none on campus.

  • Severance Hall

    Severance is renowned for the Crow’s Nest, where a crow family serves as your alarm clock. It’s connected to Tower Dining Hall, so residents can have breakfast in their pajamas and slippers!

  • Tower Court

    Overlooking Severance Green with stunning views of Lake Waban, Tower is the largest residence hall on campus, with nearly 300 students in five stories. It offers peanut-free dining.

East Side

  • Bates Hall

    This Residence Hall honors Katharine Lee Bates 1880. An English professor, lyricist, and member of the Songwriters Hall of Fame, she composed “America the Beautiful.” You can see the amber waves of grain in this architectural detail.

  • Freeman Hall

    This building is named for Wellesley College President Alice Freeman Palmer, who, in 1881 at age 26, became the nation’s first female college president. She is interred in Houghton Chapel and honored by a Daniel Chester French bust.

  • McAfee Hall

    While it’s Wellesley’s newest residence hall, McAfee’s living room feels distinctly medieval, with Flemish tapestries, a 15th century French fireplace, and a Gothic ceiling from Austria.

  • Orchard Apartments

    There are two apartments at Orchard, each consisting of a kitchen, common room, double bedroom, single bedroom, and bath. This is a housing option for juniors and seniors.

Stone-Davis and Small Halls

  • Casa Cervantes

    In Casa Cervantes, students speak only Spanish. Thus: La Casa Cervantes ofrece una oportunidad única aquí, en Wellesley College: ¡de vivir la lengua!

  • Cedar Lodge

    One of two residence halls hosting Davis Scholars, participants in a Wellesley program for nontraditional students, Cedar Lodge provides housing 12 months of the year.

  • Dower Hall

    In 1862, architect Theodore Voelcker designed a group of service buildings for what was to be Wellesley College. Dower, originally a barn, is the only one of that group still standing.

  • French House

    Students commit to speaking only French in the common areas and bedrooms. French House also hosts cultural events for the community, and prepares and presents House meals.

  • Homestead

    Like Cedar Lodge, Homestead is one of two residences housing Davis Scholars—students who are usually between 24 to 64 years old.

  • Instead

    Adjacent to Homestead, the Instead Feminist Vegetarian Cooperative holds weekly group dinners, member-led discussions, and sponsors guest speakers for everyone on campus.

  • Stone-Davis Hall

    The original Stone Hall was destroyed by fire in 1927. When rebuilt, the name “Davis” was added to honor Olive Davis, a Head of House whose insistence on regular fire drills saved the lives of many students.

Related

Get an Estimate

Wellesley's Quick College Cost Estimator

 

 

 

Calculator

 

 

 

 

   

 Wellseley College Instagram