- Slater International Center
- Meet Our Staff
- Entering Students
- Current Students
- Visiting Students
- For Graduating Seniors
- Scholars & Faculty
- UWC at Wellesley
- Living in the U.S.
- Forms & Resources
- Reserving Slater
- International Student Statistics
B-1 Business Visitor
B-1 Business Visitor or Short-Term Visitors
B-1 visas are used for foreign visitors invited by Wellesley to engage in temporary business. To be eligible for B-1 status individuals must demonstrate that:
- The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business but does not entail local employment or labor for hire
- They plan to remain for a specific, limited time period
- They have clear intent to maintain a residence outside the U.S., as well as other binding ties to their home country, which will ensure they leave the U.S. at the end of the visit
- They have funds to cover expenses in the U.S.
The B-1 visa category may be used by individuals who plan short visits to one or several campuses in the U.S. However, it is not intended for individuals accepting any type of formal academic appointment for a term or longer.
The initial period of stay is one (1) to six (6) months with six months being the maximum. An applicant can file an extension of stay for up to six months. The maximum total of time permitted in B-1 status on any one trip is generally one year.
Costs for the B-1/B-2 status are covered by the individual.