Wellesley offers a comprehensive health insurance plan designed to meet the needs of our students.
Currently, students registered for at least 75 percent of full-time credits are required by Massachusetts law to enroll in a school-sponsored health insurance program or an alternate plan with comparable coverage.
To ensure compliance with Massachusetts law, Wellesley College students, including Davis Scholars, Post-Baccalaurates, and visiting students, are automatically enrolled in and billed for the Wellesley College Student Health Insurance Plan.
The 2018-2019 Wellesley College Student Health Insurance Plan is effective from August 15, 2018, to August 14, 2019. The insurance rate for the 2018-2019 academic year is $2,517. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts provides the health insurance coverage for our students. For most students, the fee for insurance appears on the July EBill.
2018-2019 Student Health Insurance Plan Highlights
- Coverage for inpatient and outpatient medical expense, mental health coverage, prescription drugs, diagnostic testing, lab and x-ray services, urgent care, and emergency visits.
- 100% coverage for preventative care.
- Access to a comprehensive network of doctors, specialists, and hospitals close to campus and home.
- Worldwide coverage while studying abroad or on vacation.
- Coordination with the College’s Student Heath Service.
- Access to discounts for dental, eyewear, and fitness services.
Under Wellesley's Health Service policy, all students enrolled in courses at Wellesley College may see a physician, nurse practitioner, or nurse at the Health Service office without charge; however, charges are incurred for certain procedures, treatments, and laboratory tests. The Wellesley College Student Health Insurance Plan covers most of these charges. Health Service will directly bill the Plan for covered services.
Details about the Wellesley Plan, benefits comparison, participating doctors, and more can be found the website of the Plan’s broker, University Health Plans.
- Find out what questions you should ask your current health insurance plan to make sure it’s comparable.
- View and download a student insurance brochure for a benefits comparison.
- Search for participating doctors, hospitals, and pharmacies.
- Submit an online waiver form (instructions below).
Eligibility to Opt-Out of the Plan
If you currently have adequate health insurance, you can waive enrollment. Not all plans provide adequate coverage, including some out-of-state Medicaid plans or certain HMOs and managed care plans. Be sure to check with your insurance company before waiving coverage.
Students who a) live beyond a 200-mile radius, b) have restrictive out-of-state managed care insurance coverage, or c) anticipate participating in intercollegiate, club, or intramural sports programs are encouraged not to waive the Student Health Insurance Plan.
Students who have an out of area HMO, such as Kaiser Permanente, should not waive coverage as those types of plans only provide coverage in the event of an emergency or in your home area.
International students cannot waive coverage unless they are currently enrolled in a plan of comparable coverage through an U.S.-based insurance company.
Online Waiver Process
Steps to Complete an Online Waiver Form
- Have your current health insurance ID card ready, as you will need this information to complete the waiver form.
- Go to www.universityhealthplans.com.
- Click on "Wellesley College."
- Review information to determine if you qualify to waive your coverage.
- Access the waiver form using your Wellesley College email address and Student ID number.
- Print a copy of your confirmation for your records. If you do not receive confirmation of your online waiver form, you must resubmit it.
- If the waiver form is approved, Student Financial Services will credit your student account for the insurance charge of $2,517, typically within two business days.
If you have any questions on the waiver process, please contact University Health Plans at (800) 437-6448 or by email at email@example.com.