Student's Guide to Purchasing a Computer
We strongly recommend that you bring your own laptop to help ensure your success as a Wellesley student. By doing so, you will be able to take advantage of the secure wireless network access available in all campus buildings, including the residential halls. Computing workstations and printers are available in several locations, while high-end laboratories provide opportunities for developing skills with advanced software.
- Operating system: Windows 7 or 8.1, 64-bit; or Mac OS X 10.10
- Memory: 8 GB or more of RAM
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or i7
- Hard drive: 500 GB (or larger) hard drive, or 256GB (or larger) SSD
- Wireless (WiFi): 802.11n, dual band (2.4Ghz & 5Ghz)
- Data Backups: External hard drive or cloud storage.
- Your Wellesley Google Drive account has unlimited storage.
- Warranty: Four year warranty that covers both manufacturer and accidental damage
- Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office 365 University (2013 for Windows, 2011 for Macs).
- You can get MS Office 365 for free via the MyWellesley Software Store.
What else to bring:
- All documentation and discs that came with your computer. The College can not provide these if your computer has to be reset to factory settings. Many computers come with factory restore software on the hard drive.
- Laptop case or sleeve for protection
- Cable lock to secure laptop to a table or desk
- Surge protector
What NOT to bring:
- Wireless lights. These devices are not compatible with our network as they create their own wireless network that can interfere with the College's wireless access points.
- Wireless printer. If you wish to bring a personal printer, connect it to your computer with a USB cable. Wireless printers can cause interference with the College's wireless network. Student printing via PaperCut is available in all libraries and select academic buildings.
- Wireless router or access point. Wireless access is provided in all buildings on campus, and personal routers or access points cause interference.
Get connected with more campus technology resources
- Visit the Entering Students website on campus technology for tips on getting connected on campus.
- Visit our Computer Purchase website for discounts on software, computers, and accessories.
- The Wellesley College Bookstore also stocks security locks and other computer accessories.
Where can I ask questions about campus technology?
- E-mail your questions to email@example.com
- Call the Computing Help Desk at (781) 283-7777, Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm.