Grants for Conference Attendance
Wellesley College provides funding opportunities for students who are presenting their work at a scholarly conference. Students in the humanities and social sciences (excluding psychology) can apply for a Conference Travel Grant (application form available here: http://www.wellesley.edu/provost/students.)
Ordinarily no retroactive awards will be made and a student will be funded for only one conference or the equivalent of $750 per academic year. (Note that students enrolled in a 350 or 360 can also apply for a Research Grant or Multicultural Research Grant, some portion of which might be used for conference travel.)
Philosophy majors and minors, or students currently taking a philosophy class, who have either:
a) exhausted the conference travel funds available to them through the College, or
b) are attending, but not presenting at, a scholarly conference with a connection to philosophy
may apply to the Philosophy department for reimbursement of travel costs associated with conference attendance. Interested students should submit a brief application via email to the Chair of the Philosophy department, including the following information:
- Name of student
- Conference title and location
- (If presenting) title and brief abstract of paper
- (If merely attending) a short paragraph explaining how the conference connects to the student’s interests or course-work
- Estimated cost of travel to the conference
- The source of any other funding for this conference that the student has requested or received
- The amount of funding that the student has received from the Philosophy department for conference travel in the current and previous years.
- Because funds are limited, not all applications will be successful.
- Students can maximize their chances of receiving funding by submitting an application as early as possible in the academic year.
- Students who attend philosophy conferences (as opposed to interdisciplinary conferences or conferences in other disciplines) are likely to receive priority.
- Normally awards will not exceed $300 for any particular conference or $400 for any particular student per year.
- If application is accepted: to receive reimbursements from your conference travel, you must submit all original itemmized receipts to the PHIL Academic Administrative Assistant. The receipts must be dated. If you are splitting a travel expense with a peer, your name and the amount you contributed must be printed on the receipt. Your Banner ID and campus address is also required for reimbursement.