Registration for Online Live Instruction Classes
In conjunction with the online AP® Italian Language and Culture course open for free on edX, Wellesley College offers online live instruction classes starting on February 4, 2019 and ending on April 27, 2019.
Class are offered over a range of days and times (see full schedule below).
These online live instruction classes offer:
- a Certificate from Wellesley College with a letter grade. Since this course has been approved by the College Board, high school students may present this certificate to their high school for registration on their school transcript. For other learners the Certificate issued by Wellesley College is an important recognition of achievement and language proficiency that can be presented to any educational institution and/or employer.
- Regular practice in Italian (once or twice a week depending on the format chosen), in small groups with 5-6 other students and an instructor.
- 19 online class meetings per course, each lasting 45 minutes.
- 5 online, individual conversations with a native speaker, an Italian university student. These conversations will be arranged by Wellesley College in collaboration with TalkAbroad. The resulting total number of class meetings is 24 (19 with an instructor and 5 with an Italian conversation partner).
- Our instructors, in addition to teaching online, will correct, grade and give feedback on 6 student papers and 6 audio files. These assignments are specifically designed to prepare students for the AP Italian exam in May 2019.
Students should bear in mind that participation in these online live instruction classes will require considerable study time outside class hours.
NOTE: These online live instruction classes are open to all learners, not only high school students preparing for the AP Italian exam.
- Any high school students and/or any adult learners with a knowledge of Italian at the intermediate level (2 or 3 years in high school, or 2 or 3 university semesters) may register for one of our online live instruction classes.
- Students must also register separately for AP® Italian Language and Culture on edX where they will find all the material needed to prepare for the online live instruction classes, and plenty of activities to use for their self-study. This online registration is free; please go to the edX registration page to register for access to these materials.
- Access to a working computer with reliable internet access is required, as is a webcam, or headset with microphone (highly recommended), or speakers and microphone.
Schedule of Online Live Instruction Classes
Each class is offered at different days and times in an effort to accommodate most schedules and time zones. Course content and requirements are the same regardless of the class. (Note: all times are US Eastern Time).
Intensive Spring 2019
(February 4 - April 27, 2019)
|Mondays and Wednesdays 5:00-5:45pm|
|Mondays and Wednesdays 6:00-6:45pm|
|Mondays and Wednesdays 8:00-8:45pm|
|Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:00-8:45pm|
|Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:00-9:45pm|
|Tuesdays and Thursdays 11:00-11:45pm|
|Tuesdays 4:00-4:45pm and Saturdays 10:00-10:45am|
|Wednesdays 9:00-9:45pm and Saturdays 1:00-1:45pm|
Course Change Policy
Students may ask to change the online live class they initially chose only once after registration. Although we will make every effort to accommodate each request, any change will be subject to availability. All class change requests must be done in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuition for either the Intensive or Non-Intensive classes is $1,450.00
A non-refundable fee of $50.00 is required when you register.
Confirmation of registration will be emailed to students promptly. Please note that we cannot guarantee placement in the selected class until tuition is paid in full. Paying the entire tuition at the time of registration guarantees a spot in the class selected.
The final deadline for paying tuition in full is:
February 1, 2019
Class Drop Policy
The last day to drop a class for 100% tuition refund:
February 1, 2019
The last day to drop a class for 50% tuition refund:
February 11, 2019
Please note that students can register for only one class at a time.
All drop requests must be made in writing via email to email@example.com by the date indicated above.
Grades and Certificates will be available approximately 3 weeks after the end of classes.
Clicking the Register button below leads to a form in which you will select which class session you would like, and provide us some basic information about yourself. You will then be given instructions for paying the $50 registration fee.
AP® Italian Exam
Note to high school students who plan on taking the AP Italian exam administered by the College Board in May 2019: If your high school does not administer the exam, you should contact AP Services of the College Board in early February 2019. They will help you locate the exam site closest to you.
You may also want to search for high schools where AP Italian is taught in your area, and contact these schools directly to see if they accept external candidates. The AP Course Audit page of the College Board has a ledger that can help you in this search.
Please Note: Registration in our AP Italian online live instruction classes is not linked in any way to admission to Wellesley College for degree purposes. Any eligible student wishing admission to Wellesley College should request application materials from the Admissions Office.