So Why Does the Outside of Pendleton West Read, “Chemistry”?

July 27, 2018
On one of Pendleton West's exterior walls Chemistry is engraved in script.

Built in 1934 and named for Ellen Fitz Pendleton Class of 1886, Pendleton Hall originally housed the chemistry department. Almost 50 years ago, the west wing of the building was repurposed for arts instruction. The engraved word “Chemistry” above one of the original entryways to the building not only celebrates the long history of the College, but also quietly reminds us of the creative experimentation at the heart of all artistic study.