Tempest and Unix
Resources for Tempest Users
Tempest is a nickname for our server, cs. These pages are written for students and other users of the Linux machines of the Wellesley College Computer Science department. We've just begun building these pages, so please bear with us. However, we're eager to improve them, so if you have a suggestion or correction, please let us know.
- Acceptable Use Policy Any user of the Wellesley College Computer Science department machines must abide by our Acceptable Use and Password policy. Please read that document and make sure you understand your responsibilities in using our equipment.
- Getting an Account If you're a CS major, are taking a CS course, or have some other valid reason to have an account on the machine, you're welcome to request one. Please fill out the account request form. That form will first require you to authenticate with your domain name and password. If you have any trouble, or need a team account, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Passwords Please read our Acceptable Use and Password policy, which also has useful advice on passwords.
- Wellesley Account Info This page explains information particular to accounts on the Wellesley College CS department server (cs.wellesley.edu), as opposed to generic Unix accounts.
Resources for Linux Users
The following pages may be useful
- www.refcards.com has reference cards for a bunch of commonly used Linux software, including Emacs, XEmacs, TeX, and C.
Handouts for Linux Users, including some of the above files.