McNair Scholars Program Application
The APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR THE 2021-2022 APPLICATION IS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 19 BY 5PM EST.
If you begin your application and need to stop, it will automatically save and you may use the application link above to continue at a later time.
ENTER YOUR RECOMMENDERS
Two Letters of Recommendation are required. Once you enter your recommenders into the application link above, they will receive an automated message requesting their letter of recommendation on your behalf. We recommend you send them this Recommender Instructions guide.
First Generation and Low-Income, or Underrepresented ALANA* (African American, Latinx, Alaska Native, Native American, Pacific Islander), who are:
- Sophomores or Juniors,
- U.S. Citizens or permanent residents,
- Majoring in a STEM discipline, with a
- Strong desire to pursue doctorate education (PhD, EdD, etc), and
- 2.8 GPA or higher.
Before you start, we recommend you have these items ready:
- Parents' 2020 taxable income required for dependent students
- Your 2020 taxable income required for independent students
- Parents' education level (highest degree earned)
- Unofficial Transcript
- You will need to write three essay questions. We have listed them down below for you to better prepare ahead of time:
- Please compose an essay of 500 words or less describing:
- Your academic and career goals.
- Your research Interests.
- Your plans after graduation in regards to furthering your education and your career goals.
- Please compose an essay of 200 words or less describing:
- Your reasons for choosing to participate in the McNair Scholars Program.
- How you will benefit from and contribute to the McNair Scholars community.
- Please compose an essay of 100 words or less describing:
- Extenuating circumstances that may have affected your GPA, if any.
After the deadline has passed and we have had the opportunity to initially evaluate the submitted applications, you will receive an email confirming that you are being considered for the program.
The selection process is quite thorough and is comprised of three steps: the first step examines basic eligibility and assigns a general rating to each application; the second step is focused more thoroughly on specific research interests and fit for the McNair Scholars Program; and, the third step includes interviews of finalists prior to final selection of the McNair Scholars.
ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE SELECTION RESULTS AFTER INTERVIEWS ARE COMPLETED, which we expect to happen in early Spring semester. Please do not contact our office requesting updates on the status of your application