Foreign Language Requirement

Each candidate for the degree of Bachelor of Arts must show, ordinarily before the beginning of her senior year, that she has some proficiency in the use of at least one language, ancient or modern, other than English. The requirement may be met in one of the following ways:

A. By completing two units of language study at the second-year college level (through the Wellesley course numbered 202, or, in the case of Latin, 201); or 

B. In cases where the student can demonstrate to the appropriate department or program through a placement test that she has adequate preparation, by completing one unit of work taught in the foreign language above the course numbered 202 (the appropriate department or program will determine the appropriate placement for these students); or 

C. By course work done at another institution, subject to approval by the appropriate department or program (this requirement may not be met by independent work); approval will typically include a placement test, and may include a requirement that the student take an additional course in the language at Wellesley; or 

D. By passing one of the language tests of the College Entrance Examination Board, either the SAT II at a score of at least 690, or the Advanced Placement Examination at a score of 5; or by passing a Higher Level IB language exam with a score of 5, 6 or 7.

E. In cases of students who are native speakers or very advanced learners of languages other than English, by permission of the appropriate department or program (in cases of speakers of languages not taught at Wellesley, by presenting documentation to the Academic Review Board of proficiency in that language).


Intermediate level language courses are offered in the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek (Greek 201 may be followed by either Greek 202 or Religion 298), Hebrew, Hindi-Urdu, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swahili.

Students may earn credit for introductory courses in no more than two modern foreign languages.

Students with documented learning disabilities in the area of language learning and acquisition should consult with Disability Services and their Class Dean about the best way to fulfill the College's language requirement.