Students traveling to professional conferences to present their research (as first or second authors) may apply for support from the sources listed on this page.
Travel funds from the Provost's Office are managed by the Science Center. Please read the application requirements closely and follow instructions. Incomplete applications will not receive funding. Travel funds from the Friends of Horticulture are managed by the Assistant Director of the Botanical Gardens. Apply directly to the Friends of Horticulture (details below).
There are three application deadlines each year for student travel funds from the Science Center/Provost's Office: Sept. 15, Jan. 15, and May 15 (or next business day if due date falls on a weekend or holiday).
Travel support is available only to currently enrolled students presenting research as first or second authors. A copy of the abstract, clearly showing the author(s) name(s) and affiliation(s), must be included with the application. Second author applicants must include a statement about their contribution to the project in their application.
Faculty advisors should upload completed student applications as a single PDF to the Google Group: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include student/faculty last name in subject line.
Get the application form here.
Students who are presenting research completed at an off-campus location are eligible to apply for travel support. A Wellesley College Science faculty member must submit your application to the Google Group; please contact your advisor or a faculty member with similar research interests to consult about your application.
Office of the Provost and Dean of the College
- The Provost's Office provides support for student travel to meetings/conferences; these funds are managed through the Science Center, as described in the section above.
- If you wish to apply for direct support of research (not travel), click here to go to the Provost's page containing the application (maximum award $750/student annually).
Staley Fund for Cancer-Related Research
- The Staley Fund provides support for presenting cancer-related research at conferences; these funds are managed through the Science Center. Eligible students may apply for up to $500 in travel support.
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
- No funds available for AY 16-17. The purpose of this program is to promote the professional development of women in science and engineering. Students from any discipline in the Science Center, including Astronomy, are eligible. Students who are traveling to scientific meetings and presenting their work as posters or talks (as first or second author) are eligible to apply. The maximum travel award is $300. These funds are managed through the Science Center.
Friends of Horticulture
- Friends of Horticulture will provide limited travel funds to encourage and support Wellesley undergraduates undertaking plant-related research. Current undergraduates and recent graduates may apply to the Friends of Horticulture for a travel award to attend a professional conference where plant-oriented research is presented, or for travel directly related to the conduct of the research itself. The maximum award will ordinarily be $400. For conference travel, priority will be given to students who are presenting the results of their own work, which was conducted at Wellesley. The application form should be returned to the Friends of Horticulture. Applications may be submitted anytime and will be reviewed by the FOH. Click here for the application form.
- No funds available for AY 16-17. The local chapter of SigmaXi (The Research Society) may have funds available to provide stipends to partially offset the cost of travel expenses for students attending conferences, symposia and meetings in connection with their research activities. Preference will be given to students who present (in poster format or orally) their findings while in attendance. Applicants should submit a short (<500 words), titled description of their research project, including some indication of their role in performing the work reported, as well as the date, location and title of the conference proceedings to: email@example.com either before or after travelling. Some indication how the funds will be spent or allocated would be appreciated.