The Music Department at Wellesley College
The Music Department offers both a highly regarded academic program and a wide range of outstanding performance activities, providing an ideal environment for students who seek to combine serious musical study with a traditional liberal arts curriculum. For students who wish to undertake focused exploration of music history, theory, composition, ethnomusicology, digital media, experimental music and performance practice, our academic curriculum includes programs for a music major or music minor. For those who wish to expand their knowledge of music without making it a central focus of their college education, numerous course offerings require no special background.
All levels of students are welcome including beginners! If you have any questions about the ensembles, please contact the director(s) of each ensemble. For questions about music lessons or anything else, please contact Eliko Akahori, Director of the Music Performance Program, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Private lessons in Classical genres
- Keyboards: piano, fortepiano, harpsichord, organ, carillon, and accordion
- Strings: harp, violin, baroque violin, viola, cello, double bass, viola da gamba, classical guitar, and lute
- Winds: flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, recorder, and saxophone
- Brass and Percussion: trumpet, French horn, trombone, tuba, percussion, and marimba
Private lessons in Jazz and World Music genres
- Keyboards: piano
- Strings: fiddle, violin, viola, electric and upright bass, and guitar
- Winds and Brass: saxophone, trumpet, and trombone
- Percussion: drumset, vibraphone, and congas/hand percussion
- Brandeis-Wellesley Orchestra
- Chamber Music Society (CMS)
- Collegium Musicum
- Guild of Carillonneurs
- Wellesley BlueJazz Big Band
- Wellesley BlueJazz Strings and Combos
- Wellesley College Choir and Chamber Singers
- Yanvalou drum and dance ensemble
Please visit our Performance Program webpages for more information.