Before traveling, follow these steps to ensure that the data on your laptop is secure:
- Scan your Windows computer with Identity Finder to ensure that there is no personally identifiable information (PI) stored on your laptop.
- If you have PI on your laptop, you must securely delete it. College policy prohibits storage of PI on laptops and mobile devices. For instructions see: Symantec Encryption Desktop for Windows or Secure Empty Trash for Macs.
- Make sure your laptop hard drive is encrypted with either Symantec Encryption Desktop for Windows, or File Vault for Macs.
- Enable automatic screen lock after a period of inactivity (recommend 15 minutes or less).
- Use a strong domain password to lock your computer. Domain password resets require that you use some combination of letters, numbers and/or special characters of 8 characters or more. Avoid using dictionary words. Instead, use acronyms for things like favorite songs, restaurants or other items known only to you.