The Wellesley College VPN is available to all current faculty, staff, and students at Wellesley College for off-campus access to resources that are only accessible while on the Wellesley campus network. You can access the VPN from many devices using the directions below.
When you are logged into the VPN, all internet usage of Wellesley sites on your computer will go through Wellesley's network. When connected to the VPN, your computer usage is subject to the Wellesley College acceptable use policy.
- These instructions are for off-campus access to things like software license managers and grades, and unless you need to access to the secure systems listed below, this is the VPN you should be using.
- If you require off-campus access to any of the following secure resources, you'll need to use the Secure VPN instead:
- Just upgraded to a macOS newer than Mojave 10.14? If you were running a 32bit Cisco AnyConnect application, it will no longer work. Please uninstall it and install the latest 64bit version at the link below.
- Windows 10 and Mac OS X 10.13 - macOS 11:
- Open your internet browser (for example, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge) and go to https://vpn.wellesley.edu
(Note: This must be done from an off-campus network connection. If you are on campus, the Computing Helpdesk has such a connection.)
Problems? Try a different browser! (Firefox instead of Chrome, for example)
- Log in, when prompted, with your Wellesley credentials.
- It will detect your computer's operating system. That may take a few minutes.
- Click to download the installer.
- When it finishes downloading, open the installer and install the software as you would any other, following on-screen instructions until it is complete.
- If you're on a Mac with a newer macOS version and see a "System Extension Blocked" or similar message, as with any similar installation on this OS you will need to approve the system extensions in order for the Application to run:
- Go to System Preferences and click on the Security & Privacy icon.
- Go to the General tab. Click the lock at the bottom of the window to make changes, then click Allow.
- If you are running macOS Big Sur, you will approve additional AnyConnect extensions:
- Shortly after approving the AnyConnect extension, a popup will appear prompting you to allow the extension's content filter component.
- Click Allow in the "Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter" popup. After the extension's content filter approval is complete, the extension and its components should be active.
- The installation may check for updates; this may take a few minutes and is normal.
- Launch Cisco AnyConnect and enter vpn.wellesley.edu as the server and enter your Wellesley credentials when prompted.
- Look for the Cisco AnyConnect icon and make sure it shows a locked padlock icon and says it is Connected to vpn.wellesley.edu
- Apple iPhones & iPads, download the free Cisco AnyConnect app, and enter vpn.wellesley.edu as the server.
- Android devices: download the Cisco AnyConnect app, and enter vpn.wellesley.edu as the server.
- Open the chrome browser, and use this link to download the Cisco AnyConnect app from the Chrome Web Store. Be sure to select Cisco AnyConnect as the VPN.
- Please note that this chrome app will only run on ChromeOS, and that certain functions like vault/ntm access may not work properly on ChromeOS
- Click Add to Chrome, then once AnyConnect has finished installing, click Launch App
- You may need to wait several minutes while the VPN initializes
- Once the VPN has initialized, click Add to Chrome
- For the name, enter "Wellesley VPN" or "Wellesley Secure VPN", or any other name you wish to use
- For the server address, enter vpn.wellesley.edu for the VPN, or vpn.wellesley.edu/secure for the Secure VPN
- Click Save Changes, then close or minimize the VPN window
- Click the wifi/battery/clock indicator in the bottom right corner
- Click VPN, then on the next screen, click "Wellesley VPN", "Wellesley Secure VPN", or whichever name you set for the VPN
- When you connect for the first time, you may receive a message that says "AnyConnect cannot verify the identity of Wellesley VPN (user) / Wellesley Secure VPN (user). Would you like to continue anyway?" Click Import and Continue
- Enter your MyWellesley username and password
- When you have finished using the VPN, click the wifi/battery/clock indicator in the bottom right corner, click VPN, then click Disconnect to the right of Wellesley VPN/Wellesley Secure VPN
Any time you are off campus and need your device to be on our network, launch Cisco AnyConnect. It should remember the vpn.wellesley.edu server information and prompt you for your Wellesley credentials.
After completing any work that requires the VPN, it's best to disconnect or quit AnyConnect.
If you are on campus and would like to test your device with the VPN, please visit the Computing Help Desk in the Clapp Library and let them know you need to use the off-campus WiFi network available there.