Questions about Google Apps?
For general questions, contact the Computing Help Desk at 781-283-3333 or email email@example.com
For course-related questions, contact Instructional Technology at 781-283-4848.
- Search for your questions in Google's excellent Help Center
Explore our customized Wellesley documentation for Google Apps using the sidebar on the left.
What's new in Google Apps:
Intelligent Search in Google Drive (February 2019)
Google has updated Search in Drive to make it easier to find files. These filters will help you find and filter content more quickly and efficiently. Now, when you click in the search box you’ll see a range of options, including:
- Suggested search queries: Click on a term to search for it.
- Your top collaborators: Click on a person to search for files that you’ve collaborated with them on.
- File types, edit history, priority items, and more: Click to show files that match the highlighted criteria.
Google is adding a new feature to Google Drive that lets you see when other people are editing files in Microsoft Office products.
- This feature requires the use of the Drive File Stream Client for Windows & Mac.
When you open a Microsoft Word, Powerpoint or Excel document from your Drive File Stream folder, Google will check to see if anyone else is currently editing the document. Google will then let you know if it’s safe to edit or if you should wait. Drive may tell you:
- Safe to edit: No one else is editing.
- Wait to edit: Other people are editing, so your edits will create multiple, conflicting versions.
- New version created: Another editor saved a newer version of the file.
- New version created (conflict): While you were editing the file, another editor also edited it. Click for a side-by-side comparison to help you create one version.
Whether you’re on vacation or just offline at the end of your workday, Google Calendar can help protect your time out of the office. Google is introducing a new out of office option and customizable working hours to further improve your digital well-being.
You will soon be able to do the following:
- Indicate when you’re going out of office when creating an event, so others wil know you're unavailable. You can even customize the messages people get when trying to schedule during these times.
- Restrict your working hours using different intervals for different days. You could do this before, but only for the same time across all working days. This allows those with more varied schedules to accurately include their work hours.